The Cardinal Newman Catholic Educational Trust
Local Governing Committee
Governors play a key role in leading, supporting and improving schools.
What school governors do
Governors sit on the school’s governing committee and work with the headteacher. They’re responsible for the strategic goals, while the headteacher implements them and manages the school from day to day. The governors:
- set the overall vision and direction of the school
- oversee the budget
- help recruit staff
- monitor the performance of the school, for example in examinations and key stage tests
- advise on school policies and procedures
You can find out more about governors' responsibilities in the DFE Governance Handbook.
Governor’s duties include:
- taking part in regular Local Governing Committee meetings, usually six times a year
- spend some time on training, governor visits and getting to know the school
- occasionally sit on appointments panels or panels that handle staff or pupil discipline issues or complaints against the school
Could you serve as a Foundation Governor? Click here to download an information leaflet with more details on what's involved.
Please find below a link for The Cardinal Newman Catholic Educational Trust website:
Please find below a list of the school governors at St Bernard’s Catholic Primary School with their dedicated area of governance stated.
Our School Governors
Mrs Linda Dineen - Chair of Governors - Health and Safety
Ms Angharad Norman - Safeguarding
Ms. Beverley Sharp- SEN and English
Ms. Catriona Wilgoss - RE and Catholic Life of the school
Mr Jonathan Deeney -Pupil Premium/CiC and maths
Mr Alan Devally - Wellbeing and Mental Health
Mrs Joanne Alder - H&S
Mr Richard Jordan
Clerk to the Governors
Mrs Sarah O'Driscoll